Let's talk about how to make a online food store website integrated with marketplace using WordPress.
WordPress with some powerful plugins make this work more easier.
Table of Contents
1. Requirements of Online Food Store
- Want to use custom domain (ex. www.food.com)
- Want to display selling foods in website
- Doesn't need to selling products directly in website
- Food has a link to marketplace to order
- Make receipt contents in website
- Display offline store information
- Want to display franchise information
2. Online Food Store Feature Definition
Let's define feature from requirements based on WordPress platform.
- Purchase custom domain.
- Use WooCommerce Plugin to manage product(food).
- Disable cart & order & delivery feature.
- Add marketplace links to WooCommerce product to display outbound link in product detail page.
- Manage receipts from WordPress Backend. It would be better to link between associated product and receipt.
- Offline store and franchise is a same meaning. Make a franchise management feature in WordPress backend. And add additional field to franchize like location, telephone, url, type, etc.
Maybe this additional feature need to be added to website.
- Receipts need to be categorized by food type.
- Receipts has cooking ingredients, time, servings, difficult, etc.
- Receipts can be filtered by category, ingredients, time, portions, difficult, etc.
- User can search receipts by name.
3. Setup Hosting Server
Use hosting server like SiteGround. But also can be use AWS(Amazon Web Service) or GCP(Google Cloud Platform) to more flexible.
In this time, I selected GCP(Google Cloud Platform) because it provides virtual server with Indonesia location. Since this online food store is serviced in Indonesia country, So GCP(Google Cloud Platform) with Jakarta Region is the best choice.
4. Install WordPress
I used to follow this great tutorial to install.
This article gives you the following infomration:
- Setup user on your server
- Install a LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack
- Setup SSL using Let's Encrypt
- Install WordPress
5. Install WordPress ThemeFree
Use OceanWP. This theme has very flexible feature.
Use Hello provided by Elementor. This is a empty theme and all features will be configured by Elementor Pro.
Price : 0$
6. Install WordPress Plugins
6.1. Page Builder
The most advanced frontend drag & drop page builder. Create high-end, pixel perfect websites at record speeds. Any theme, any page, any design.
Elementor Pro brings a whole new design experience to WordPress. Customize your entire theme: header, footer, single post, archive and 404 page, all with one page builder.
Price : $49/year
6.2. Product ManagementFree & Paid
WooCommerce is a flexible, open-source eCommerce solution built on WordPress. Sell anything, anywhere and make your way.
6.3. Loop Template
Receipt, Offline Store, Franchise archive page need to be customized.Free & Paid
Elementor Custom Skin for Posts and Archive Posts. You can create a skin as you want.
6.4. Custom Post Type (For Receipt)Free & Paid
Use this plugin to make a Receipt post type. Also can create receipt category using this plugin.
6.5. Custom Fields
Following data need to be managed by website.Free & Paid
Receipt: Cooking times, Cooking ingredients, portions, etc
Marketplace: Purchase link, etc
Offline Store: Address, Tel, Operation time, etc
Franchise: Shop URL, Name, etc
Customize columns on the administration screens for post(types), pages, media, comments, links and users with an easy to use drag-and-drop interface.
6.6. SEO (Search Engine Optimization)Free & Paid
Rank Math is a revolutionary SEO product that combines the features of many SEO tools and lets you multiply your traffic in the easiest way possible.
6.7. Image OptimizationFree & Paid
Reduce image file sizes, improve performance and boost your SEO using the free WPMU DEV WordPress Smush API.
7. Create Custom Post TypeCreate required post type using Custom Post Type UI
To inform the user of the food recipe purchased. Need to connect with associated food to purchase.
Information about one or multiple franchise store(s).
8. Create Required TaxonomiesMake a custom taxonomies to grouping custom post type using Custom Post Type UI
- Receipt Category
- Franchise Type (Offline, Online, or Both)
9. Create Required Custom Fields
Make a custom fields to created custom post type to more easily manage using Advanced Custom Fields
- Cooking time
- Cooking ingredients
- Associated food products
- Google Map
- Operation Time
- Shop URL (Multiple)
10. Setup Product & Marketplace Link
All selling food can be registerd as a product by WooCommerce.
As we want to display purchase link di website, how can link product with marketplace product?
Manually Add to Content
Just manually add to each product ccontent with marketplace link.
Paid (But Free with Elementor Pro)
Create custom field of each marketplace and link to WooCommerce Product.
- Amazon Link
- eBay Link
- Marketplace n Link
Use custom fields with dynamic contents in product detail page using Elementor Pro
Product Retailers plugin add External Links for the product. Use this to make one or multiple outbound link.
Price : $49/year
11. Create Required Page
Create a new page and design using Elementor.
11.2. Foods Page
Food is the Product in this WooCommerce webstore.
As food is product in website, all foods will be shown in shop page.
Create a product archive template for the food. Also can be design for each food loop item using Ele Custom Skin free plugin.
11.3. Receipts Page
Receipt is the Custom Post Type with additional custom fields.
Manually Create Template
Need to manually create archive-receipt.php for archive, and single-receipt.php for single post in selected WordPress theme.
Create a archive template for receipt post type. Also can be design for each receipt loop item using Ele Custom Skin free plugin.
11.4. Franchise Page
Franchise is the Custom Post Type with additional custom fields.
Manually Create Template
Need to manually create archive-franchise.php for archive, and single-franchise.php for single post in selected WordPress theme.
Create a archive template for franchise post type. Also can be design for each franchise loop item using Ele Custom Skin free plugin.
12. Add Filtering & Search feature
It would be better to user can filtering product(food), receipt using various filtering options.
Filtering options are already made when we create a taxonomies and additional custom fields of Product, Receipt, and Franchise. How can we add filtering options to page?
There is no free option at this time. Thus, we should buy a paid WordPress plugin for this.
Advanced filtering and faceted search for WordPress and WooCommerce.
Price : $99/year
Easy-to-use AJAX filters to apply for custom posts, terms, and WooCommerce products.
Price : $24/year
- Hard to customize
- No advanced filtering
- Waste of time
Price : $0
- Elementor Pro
Price : $73/year
- Elementor Pro
- Product Retailers
Price : $122/year
Finally, We can make a online food store easily using WordPress with some plugins.
I'm highly recommanded to use Elementor Pro plugin because it make process more professional.
I'll add to my portfolio after finished to setup.