The error message:
The maximum nametable character count quota (16384) has been exceeded while reading XML data. The nametable is a data structure used to store strings encountered during XML processing - long XML documents with non-repeating element names, attribute names and attribute values may trigger this quota. This quota may be increased by changing the MaxNameTableCharCount property on the XmlDictionaryReaderQuotas
I ran into this problem when my WCF service reached a large size.
I could no longer right click on the service in Visual Studio and select Update service reference.
I also could not run svcutil.exe without an error when my WCF service was large.
When I commented out some of the functions to get the size smaller, everything would work, but when I added even one function after that point, it would fail.
No matter what the function was.
I found out which files needed to be changed by using process monitor while doing various operations.
To fix these problems I had to do 5 things:
1) Replace the svcutil.exe.config file with:
My file was located here: SvcUtil.exe.config[code lang='xml']
2) Add the client endpoints and the <bindings> element to your machine.config.
My file was located here: C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFrameworkv2.0.50727CONFIGmachine.config
3) Add the whole <System.ServiceModel> inside your devenv.exe.config
My file was located here: C:Program FilesMicrosoft Visual Studio 9.0Common7IDEdevenv.exe.config
4) Modify the endpoint and bindings of my client app. (myapp.exe.config)
5) Modify the endpoints and bindings of my WCF service. (mywcfservice.exe.config)